During matches we will often show off flags and banners that we have made, or what those in the soccer community call “tifo.” They are ways to excite the home crowd and team. Often we will create specific tifos for opponents, especially our neighbors in Oklahoma City and St. Louis.
We hold tifo parties the weeks or days leading up to a match where we create the banners and other items needed for the upcoming match. These parties are great for getting to know your fellow Roustabouts some more and having a few drinks.
If you are interested in assisting with the creations, either with grand ideas or some painting skills, we would love for you to help. The more people who come to these parties, the grander our tifo can become (and the better the party)!
Tifo Building Guides
Tifo Etiquette – Unspoken Rules
(Adopted from the Timbers Army)
There are many spoken and unspoken rules and guidelines related to tifo. Some of them are unique to the Roustabouts and have evolved over time into own subtle guidelines. Others are more well-known and are ingrained in supporters culture throughout the world.
Please see the brief list of tifo guidelines and tips as they have evolved for the Roustabouts.
- The first rule of tifo is don’t talk about tifo. At least until it has been displayed and the surprise aspect isn’t diminished by loose lips or social media posts. Pictures of the creation should only be shared after the display has occurred.
- The second rule of tifo is DON’T TAKE HOME THE TIFO! They are not yours and taking them as keep-sakes is stealing. Please be respectful of the Roustabouts.
- Flares are currently not allowed for use within ONEOK Field. The use of flares at a home match will result in a stadium ban for those involved and the removal of stadium access for all tifo displays and gameday set up. Leave the flares at home please.
- The use of approved smoke is permitted ONLY in approved areas. Our smoke is lit by our capo’s per an arrangement with the Front Office. If you know someone who has brought smoke please direct them to give it to the capos. Extra/un-approved smoke being lit within the section brings negative consequences to the rest of the gameday privileges the section currently enjoys.
- Though we do not outright say ‘Do not use vinyl’ for two sticks or banners, it is a lot more expensive and it does go against the DIY aspect of the Roustabouts and can’t compare to the blood, sweat and passion that goes into painting something yourself.
- When an overhead banner goes over your section, please do not punch the underside of it. Overheads often contains an image or message that can be obscured if in constant motion in addition to the risk of tearing out the stitching.
- When holding up a two stick or flag do not make a punching vertical motion. It can cause the attachment to the pole to break move or weaken. It cuts down considerably on the life of the two stick or flag in question.
- During a card display hold your card up high and tight, please do not wave or shake them. This is Tulsa, not Pittsburg so leave the terrible towels at home.
**Thanks to 107ist/Timbers Army for the helpful guidelines for Tifo etiquette!**